Thursday, August 18, 2011

I spent the morning fixing the basement window. Lets just say, I will never be asked to do that professionally...or even as a favor...EVER. This is why:


Look what I get to buy http://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows/windows/basement-utility-windows/22-x-30-white-aluminum-single-pane-utility-window/p-1364131-c-6275.htm that is IF it's the cheap one...

This morning I got a text from Svend saying he'd taken my keys on accident. Instantly I thought about the ENT appointment I'd scheduled and would have to cancel. But, then, I remembered the spare to the car. All I had to do was leave the house via the garage and we could still lock up the house. Then, we'd planned on going to our pool. The kids didn't want to do the baby pool that I make them do when Svend's not with me, so we chose the fountain, because I had a car key. I had put on my swim suit because originally we were going to the pool.

We packed up the car. I glanced at my wallet and thought "nah, we'll come home and change before the ENT appointment." I fed the kids a snack and we jumped in the car. I started it (so I wouldn't accidentally lock the key in the house) and ran back in the front door, locked it, then went through the garage door and locked it. YES! I LOCKED IT! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?
So, in the van... no snacks... no wallet... 4 quarters to "live on..." and in our swim suits. Awesome. I start crying. Tally asks why and I tell her "I locked us out of the house. We have no food, no money, and daddy's not coming home til 10pm." She says, "that's okay mom, we won't die. As long as he's home before 6 days." Glad she had a good perspective! :P

After calling a million numbers I get ahold of Svend at his clinic (he doesn't answer his cell and he gave me the wrong pager number for emergencies). Options are to drive 1.5 hours to his work or break in the basement. He wants us to break in. So, we do. I get Bergen in the window well and we're pulling and pushing on the window. I finally got a shovel to pry it out... we push it in! I lower Bergen down and he unlocks the door. HOORAY!!!!

Tally comes around the corner and says "I am the only one that said a prayer!" Thank you. Then, I go in and get in the basment to secure the window...but it's shattered. Awesome. I taped a black garbage bag to the frame and will clean up later.

Lesson's learned:
1. attach a spare house key to the spare car key.
2. when you pray, prayers are answered...but pray specifically. Next time (hopefully there's not a next time) I will pray that we get into the house with NOTHING BROKEN!

Time to go price windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment