One thing I have struggled with a lot is the financial part (or lack there-of) as students and residents. Not necessarily lacking money, just the reminder that we lack money. Moving brings this frustration out in me more than usual...
Medicaid is a blessing and it's FREE and I'm grateful for it. We have doctors and dentists we trust here. Now we're moving and have to start all over... Starting over with medicaid is NOT fun.
Schools... all the schools in our new area are 9s and 10s...but of course the one my kids will be attending is unranked? erg... and it's $280 to enroll both my kids! This year, our oldest qualified for the free lunch program. I don't know if the kids will again since we will receive a slight pay increase in July.
Security deposit. Ouch. Crossing our fingers we get back our entire $1000 from our current lease. Considering the basement just flooded AGAIN and we've been pretty good tenants, they'd better give it back.
The housing in the areas we have to live is costly. If we could move out of that "distance" by just 10 miles, it'd be cheaper...but we can't, and I don't want Svend driving an even LONGER commute. Yuck. So in the land of $1400-$1700 rentals, we found a $1200 "gem." It's in a GREAT area. The church is 10 minutes away. Apparently there are lots of med students in the ward. It's a town house and we have a nice yard...plus we've been there during the day two times and NO one was out...so maybe they are all at work? Anyways, it's small and it'll be tight. It'll work though. It was DIRTY however and the freezer was full of mold. There is no dishwasher and the kitchen is ummm... small. A total of 4ft of counter... TOTAL! It'll work. They have to clean it. Good. It'll be fine. Svend and I just tell ourselves we're paying for the area. We want to live in a safe place. And we found one.
We're trying to get them to give it to us for $1100. $1200 is pretty tight on our current income after taxes... so $1100 will help. Svend's commute will be cut in half...so maybe his gas bill will be too!
Anyways, I'm still scanning the internet. We haven't signed a lease, just paid a $60 app fee for our credit/criminal check and PRAYING they take $1100. I hate looking at our bank account. I hate looking at our budget. I hate hate hate this. I don't even know how we made it this far, financially.
My babysitting job will end when we move... and I don't think I'll do another one. That has been a life saver.
I know we can do it. I know it'll work out. It always does. I just wish we had a cheaper option. So many of our friends are buying right now. I wish. But we would NEVER want to consider staying here, so there is absolutely zero point in buying. Plus, Svend doesn't have time to fix up a house! I wish we could afford an apartment with all the amenities... we'd at least have things to do during the day that were "free" but we can't.
okay...I'm done. Maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment