Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My letter to the principal

My daughter's classroom as had 3 cases of lice in as many weeks. I realize now that it is state law that children be permitted to return to the classroom even when they are still contagious and containing eggs/nits in their hair. The sheet that has been sent home two times now (and I assume will be sent home again today) is extremely misleading and states that the school's policy is that children cannot return to class until they are nit free. So, like all other ignorant parents, I've thought the lice was under control and this was policy. This sheet needs to be updated now. Also, these children are being sent home with live lice in the middle of the day. If we know they have lice, why are they not being checked until several hours after they are exposing the other children? Wouldn't it be better to check them before they enter the classroom?

Lice is not a life threatening disease. It's just a very expensive nuisance and I cannot afford to have this enter my home by pure negligence on other parent's parts. We have been asked by the teacher to keep our daughter's hair in tight braids, yet my daughter has told me time and time again that the children with lice are returning with long, flowing hair.

I have brought this to you because neither the nurse, now my child's teacher, Ms. Winston, have seen any other action necessary other than what they are already doing. I ask 2 main things:

1. update the form that is being sent home to parents TRUSTING that everything is being done to prevent the spread
2. check the children who have contacted lice prior to their entering the classroom each day until the contagious period is over . Why these two things have not been done is very frustrating to me. If my child gets it, I expect the same. It needs to be contained now.

No comments:

Post a Comment